YouTube hosts a variety of Content, from kids-friendly Content to movies, inappropriate or misleading Content, video tutorials, and everything in between. As a responsible parent with kids who love to stream Content on Smart TVs, you would like to limit their access to YouTube, especially when you are not supervising them, in case they stumble on unpleasant and misleading Content. But the question here is, how to block YouTube on smart TV?
Fortunately, most TV models have a parental control system integrated into their operating system that helps you restrict YouTube. By following simple steps, you can easily adjust the settings and limit the type of Content minors can stream by activating controls at different levels or blocking the app completely.
This article will discuss how to restrict YouTube on different TV models like Samsung, LG, Sony, Vizio, and many others. Moreover, this will also elaborate the procedure to activate control settings on these TV brands.
How to Block YouTube App on a Smart TV?
If you have a TV at home and want to limit your children’s access to it, ensure your kids or other family members are not accessing abusive or inappropriate Content. The good news is that most of the TVs are equipped with parental control features that help you to restrict access to certain Content meant for different age groups. This guide will walk you through restricting YouTube access on different TVs.
Though the general procedure is the same for all TVs, the exact steps may vary slightly from model to model and depend on the manufacturer who made it. Many TVs offer a straightforward approach that you can follow to access apps and restrict them without having active controls settings.
Follow the steps below to restrict YouTube access on different popular Smart TV brands:
Turn on Restriction Mode on YouTube
To save your children from misleading YouTube content on your Smart TV, turn on the Restriction Mode on YouTube. With this mode enabled, YouTube will block all adult content. Therefore, you will not have to block it entirely. Moreover, this feature is also helpful when you don’t have YouTube kids on your Smart TV.
Follow these steps to activate Restriction Mode on YouTube.
- Open the YouTube on your Smart TV.
- Click on Settings and select Restricted Mode.
- Click ON option.
How Do I Block YouTube on Samsung Smart TV?
Let’s set a TV pin on your Samsung TV on the YouTube app you want to restrict. Anyone who wants to access it will have to enter the pin. Here is how you can do this:
- Press the Home Screen button and tap the “Apps” tab.
- Click on the “Settings” icon, similar to a gear in appearance.
- From Settings, click “Lock” for YouTube and any other app you want to restrict.
- Enter the TV pin you selected and click on “Done.”
You have successfully blocked YouTube on your Samsung Smart TV.
How to Block YouTube on LG Smart TV?
Disabling/blocking apps, especially YouTube, on LG Smart TV is pretty straightforward. Here are the key steps:
- Access the TV’s menu using its remote control. Click the ‘Smart’ button to display it.
- Click ‘Settings’ from the menu page. A new menu will appear; find the ‘Lock’ icon and click on it.
- From options, click on the “Application Lock” option to block different apps you want.
- From here, select “YouTube.” You can also restrict access to other apps.
- That’s it!
How to Disable YouTube on Sony Smart TV?
Restricting apps, including YouTube, on Sony TV is more complex than on other TV models. Here, you will first have to set up a new separate profile from where you modify its settings to allow access to certain apps and block unwanted ones.
So, follow these steps to set up a new profile and block YouTube.
- Open menu on your TV and tap the “Settings” icon.
- Scroll down the settings menu to find the “Personal” tab. Click it to access the drop-down menu.
- Find “Security & Restriction” and click it. Now, Create a Restricted Profile.
- Set up a PIN for your new profile and select the apps you would like to access on your new profile. Disable YouTube and other unwanted apps.
- Hit the “Done” button and press “Back” on your Remote.
- That’s all!
To restrict your kids from accessing adult Content, shift from a general profile to a restricted user profile when you are going out and leaving the kids alone on the TV.
How to Disable YouTube on Your Hisense Smart TV?
Unlike other Smart TV models, Hisense TV first requires an active parental control system to lock your desired apps.
Here is how to restrict kids’ access to the apps on this TV.
- Access the remote menu and press the “Quick Setup Menu.” Press the right arrow for navigation and access the full menu.
- select “System” and then “Parental Control.”
- Press the “OK” button to display “Enter PIN Window.” Enter the PIN. Mostly, the factory sets a default password like 0000. After entering the PIN, click the “OK.”
- Click “Locks” and press “OK” to activate all the locks.
- You can also choose other features you want to block or restrict. These include Channel Block, Time, Input Block, App Restriction, Program Block, and Change PIN.
- To restrict YouTube on your smart TV, choose “App Restriction” and select YouTube from the app’s list. Follow simple instructions to block the app on the screen.
All the steps mentioned above are for the Hisense H5507 model, but most of the other Hisense models will follow similar steps to restrict apps.
How to Block YouTube on Vizio Smart TV?
Like Hisense TV, Vizio TV must also activate control settings first to adjust the settings and block apps. The process is simple and may vary according to your Vizio model.
So, check your user manual first and then follow these steps.
- Access the menu using the remote.
- Find parental control by using the right arrow. Now, adjust the settings and restrict apps.
- Find YouTube and select it block.
- After selection, press “Access Code” to update the password. Enter the password you want to set and re-enter for confirmation.
- Press “OK” and exit.
- You have successfully blocked YouTube from your Vizio TV.
On some models, you will have to enter the PIN to access the restricted apps, while for others, you must change the settings and allow access.
Before making any changes, confirm the requirements for your Smart TV. The best way is to read through the user manual and follow the instructions mentioned there.
How Can You Block YouTube on TCL Smart TV?
The TCL TVs are powered by a popular platform named Roku, known for its affordability and high-quality features. However, the parental control system works differently on these TVs, so you need some familiarization to set it up properly.
Since Roku does not own YouTube, blocking it may take much work. But with creativity and sense, you can easily do it and implement the necessary restrictions.
It is worth noting that Roku does not allow complete restriction of apps. You will have only two options: remove the unwanted app from the Roku device or use the Control settings to manage the Content. If you remove the app, you must set a PIN to restrict anyone from re-installing the app without your consent.
To remove YouTube from the Roku, follow these steps:
STEP 1: SET UP A PIN:
- Open your Roku device’s homepage using the remote and click “Settings.”
- Scroll down and find “Parental Control.”
- Enter the PIN twice you created and click “OK.”
- Now, the PIN is set, and you can use these Control settings anytime.
STEP 2: REMOVE YOUTUBE:
- Select ‘My Channels’ on the home screen using the Roku remote.
- Scroll down to find YouTube and select the options button through Remote.
- Select “Remove Channel” and hit the “OK” button.
- Select YouTube from the channels and press OK to confirm.
If you don’t want to remove YouTube entirely, choose to hide it from the Main Screen.
To hide it:
- Open Settings Page.
- Choose the Home Screen.
- Click on Hide. Choose YouTube to hide it.
NOTE: These steps are reversible. To add to the YouTube app, enter your PIN and choose to unhide.
How to Block YouTube on Element Brand-Specific Smart TV?
Element Brand Specific TVs work on multiple platforms, like Fire TV, Android TV, Roku TV, and their own brand-specific platforms. Each platform features its own unique method to configure and adjust parental control.
First, set up controls and manage the apps on your Element TV accordingly. After that, follow these steps to go through the process.
STEP 1: SET UP CONTROLS SETTINGS:
- Access the menu using your remote control and click the “Menu” button.
- Find TV Settings from the menu and click on it.
- You will see the Lock option. Click on it and enter your PIN.
STEP 2: MANAGE APPS:
After setting up controls, manage apps on your TV and block YouTube. Here is how you can do this:
- Use your remote to go to the Menu page.
- Click on TV Settings and find App Settings.
- Click the App Settings. A list of apps will appear. Under each app, there will be a DEACTIVATE APP option.
- Select YouTube and click to deactivate it. For deactivation, you will have to enter the PIN.
This way, you can easily disable YouTube from your Element Brand-Specific Smart TV.
How to Disable YouTube on Element Android TV?
The process to disable YouTube on Element Android TV is simple. It has two methods: create a restricted profile and Content filtering or Content Restriction. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do this.
METHOD 1: CREATE A RESTRICTED PROFILE ON ANDROID SMART TV:
Start the process by creating a restricted profile on Element Android TV. To do this:
- Click the Settings icon PRESENT at the bottom left of your TV screen.
- Find the “Personal” tab and click “Security and Restrictions.”
- Hit the “Restricted Profile” icon and click Settings.
- Enter the PIN when prompted.
- That’s all from creating the Restricted Profile.
The default pin will be 1234. You can also set your own. After entering the PIN:
- Select the apps you want to use.
- For YouTube, select Not Allowed.
- Click “Enter Restricted Profile” to access the new profile. This profile will feature the apps you allow.
METHOD 2: RESTRICT CONTENT ACCESS:
Along with a restricted profile, limit your kids from installing the Content from the Google Play Store. To do this:
- Open the Google Play Store App from your TVs Home Screen.
- Select Settings from the Menu list.
- Choose Content Filtering from there.
- Click on High Maturity Levels for the apps available in the Play Store.
- Enter your PIN and advance to “Purchase Authorization.
- Select how often authentication should be.
- Choose “All Purchase through Google Play on this Device.”
Sometimes, the apps may require extra permissions to filter and restrict harmful Content. Follow these steps to disable YouTube on your Android Smart TV effectively.
How Can You Block YouTube Channels from Appearing?
There are multiple ways to block YouTube channels from Smart TV, but keep in mind that restricting access to channels on YouTube is not like restricting them on social media. Simply put, you cannot restrict any YouTube channel; instead, you can RESTRICT it from appearing in your recommendations on your TV. This way, you can restrict those channels that are not appropriate for your kids by reporting them.
Here is how you can restrict your kids’ access to a channel on your Smart TV.
- Open the YouTube website using your laptop or smartphone.
- Login using your ID.
- Visit the YouTube channel page you want to report.
- Tap on the three-dot icon when using YouTube on the smartphone.
- Hit the “Block user” button.
- When using YouTube on a laptop, visit the ‘About’ section of the selected YouTube channel.
- To confirm, open YouTube on your TV and locate the changes.
How to Set Up Parental Control on Your Smart TVs?
Setting up Parental Controls on your Smart TVs is an effective strategy to keep your family and kids safe from inappropriate Content. Along with restricting YouTube with a password, controls on your TVs offer even more features, allowing you to block any application from the Home Screen.
The procedure to activate these controls may differ from model to model. Nevertheless, we will guide you on how to set up these controls on different brands of TVs.
To start, check your Smart TV manual or user guide for instructions on enabling controls settings. This includes accessing a specific menu or using a remote control shortcut.
After enabling these controls, you can easily customize settings according to your preferences. Some Smart TV brands allow you to set time limits for viewing or blocking specific programs based on age ratings.
Setting up a password to avoid unauthorized access to Controls settings is also a good option.
How to Set Up Controls on Your Samsung Smart TV?
Samsung Smart TV features advanced control options to offer users a safe and secure viewing experience. Using these options or features, you can restrict access to unsuitable Content through rating limitations.
To set up these controls:
- Access your TV Settings.
- Select “Program Rating Lock Settings” under the Broadcast option.
- Choose the desired rating category you want to restrict.
Controls on Vizio TVs
Vizio TVs allow you to monitor and restrict your child’s viewing with various control features. So, utilize these features and ensure that your kid only views age-appropriate Content.
These controls allow you to restrict YouTube and many other applications on your TV. This way, you can easily prevent your children from harmful Content on apps like Netflix or Hulu.
Moreover, you can also block specific ratings on Vizio TV by applying these controls.
How to Activate Parental Controls on LG Smart TVs?
LG Smart TV features an exclusive option known as Safety Mode, through which you can set up controls and safeguard your children’s viewing activities.
To enable this mode:
- Go to the Home Screen and click on the Settings icon.
- From there, select the Safety option and tap it to turn ON.
- After reaching the Safety option, personalize it according to your preferences and requirements.
How to Enable Controls for Sony Smart TVs?
Sony’s Android Smart TV has a different approach towards controls than its peers. Unlike other TVs, Sony TV offers a restricted profile that allows minors to access Content when settings have been customized according to the family’s requirements.
This awesome feature helps parents monitor and control the Content-viewing activities of their children on TV. With customized settings, parents can restrict the Content that is inappropriate for their kids.
Most applications offer in-app settings or configurations that allow users to customize their video experience according to their choice. Popular video streaming platforms, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO GO, Vudu, and many others, have control settings in their respective applications. Parental control features help parents restrict access to adult content by setting up a PIN to access the app.
It might seem cumbersome to configure settings for each app in contrast to doing it for the entire TV’ but doing it provides greater control and flexibility.
It is worth noting that YouTube does not offer this feature.
We hope you are clear about how to block YouTube on Smart TV. We have shared complete methods to block or turn off YouTube content on different Smart TV brands such as Samsung, LG, Sony, Vizio, Hisense, TCL TVs, Element Brand Specific TVs, and Element Android TVs. We have also shared a guide on how to set up Parental Controls on these TV brands to block Content from YouTube and safeguard your kids and family from inappropriate Content.
So, read the entire blog post carefully and know how to disable YouTube on TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to block YouTube on Toshiba Smart TV?
To restrict YouTube on Toshiba TV:
- Go to Android TV’s Home Screen and click on Settings.
- Scroll down and find the “Personal” tab.
- Then select “Security and Restrictions.”
- Create a restricted profile and set up a PIN.
- Choose YouTube from the apps.
- After blocking it, use the remote and press Back.
How do you disable YouTube on Google TV?
To disable YouTube on Google TV:
Use the left, right, up, or down arrow buttons and select an app like YouTube to close or deactivate it. Then press and hold the Enter, choose Info, click on Force Stop or Disable.